The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem, Inc. (NDS) is accepting applications for the position of Administrative Assistant, part-time. This position is 20 hours per week.
NDS is a community-based, holistic public defender office located in Harlem. NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, advocates, and team administrators. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes.
1. Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence by providing vigorous representation with energy and enthusiasm to the residents of Northern Manhattan.
2. Arrange, prepare and maintain all aspects of Managing Director’s calendar, travel, speaking engagements, meetings and calls.
3. Coordinate hiring efforts, including managing resumes, scheduling interviews and preparing follow-up correspondence to applicants.
4. Act as liaison between Managing Director, Managing Attorneys, administrative team, and legal staff.
5. Prepare correspondence, memos, presentations, and meeting materials.
6. Maintain filing system, correspondence, and relevant documents.
7. All other duties as requested.
1. A demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, racial equity and social justice issues in Northern Manhattan.
2. High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications with knowledge of word processing systems and basic computer usage in a network environment.
3. A high level of organizational and administrative skills to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
4. Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
5. Associates degree preferred/ High School Diploma or GED accepted.
NDS offers a generous compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as full health, 403(b), Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, and PTO (paid time off) benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS Collective Bargaining Agreement with ALAA-UAW Local 2325.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Carolyn Klemens, Human Resources Manager at: email@example.com with the subject line, “Administrative Assistant, PT.”
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.