The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem (NDS) is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office located in Harlem, providing civil, criminal and family representation to residents of Northern Manhattan.
The Assistant Controller, a position that reports to the Controller, will have significant accounting experience and an in-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and standard company practices. This position will perform complex accounting activities. This is a very hands-on position that will involve active participation in the closing activities, system implementations, account analyses, and interaction with outside auditing. Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail are a must to succeed in this role.
- Accurate and timely completion of all core accounting functions including general ledger, accounts receivable and payable, and account reconciliations.
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements including supporting schedules.
- Manage accounting of NDS bank and credit accounts to ensure accurate and timely recording of all transactions.
- In coordination with the Controller lead the external year-end audit process including preparation of extensive reconciliations and required schedules.
- Manage workers’ compensation, IRS Form 990 and NYS CHAR 500 filing, and other audits as needed.
- Oversee contracts management (i.e. timely billing and contract budget monitoring), and improve financial management and reporting.
- Develop and implement improved policies, procedures, internal controls, and financial reporting, ensuring compliance with GAAP, funder fiscal policy, and other applicable rules, regulations, and best practices.
- Assist in month-end and year-end closing including journal entry creation/posting, balance sheet reconciliations and expense allocations.
- Own activities within accounting team to ensure proper and timely entries are made in accordance to GAAP.
- Documenting and monitoring internal controls
- Identify any discrepancies in the accounts, troubleshoot origin, and make correcting entries to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Interfacing with Human Resources to manage new processes, payroll changes, charge code structure, and W2 mapping.
- Assisting with financial audits.
- Coordinating complex accounting projects and initiatives within the accounting and finance teams with guidance to other departments.
- Utilizing accounting, other business software to write reports and perform duties and responsibilities.
- Ten (10) + years progressive accounting experience: G/L entries, reconciliations, AP, AR, payroll, P/L reviews, and tax filings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Four (4) + years of experience directly managing the accounting function preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Solid knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience with financial and accounting systems (Financial Edge).
- Strong knowledge of MS Office and advanced skills in Excel.
- Strong attention to detail, proficient at establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Capability to work in fast-paced environment, with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Ability to work in a positive and cooperative manner with fellow team members.
Please note that NDS’s office is currently operating remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Upon reopening, the Assistant Controller position will be an in-person position based in NDS’s Harlem office.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided. The salary, benefits, and employment policies relevant to this position are governed by the CBA between NDS and the NDS Union, part of ALAA UAW 2325.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume as one PDF with the subject line, “Assistant Controller” to: email@example.com For more information about NDS, please visit our website at www.ndsny.org.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender-identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS encourages people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people-of-color, women, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people to apply.