THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE is creating NDS Texas, a new client-centered, holistic public defense office to address the growing humanitarian crisis at the southern border by providing criminal defense representation and Padilla consultations to individuals arrested by Texas law enforcement along that border.
NDS will represent non-citizen clients who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients will be represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal needs of clients. NDS Texas is funded by the Texas Indigent Defense Commission.
This position will be based either in the main NDS Texas office in San Antonio or in the satellite office in the Texas border counties. Periodic travel between the two offices will be required. Most legal proceedings will initially occur via Zoom.
1. Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence.
2. Provide vigorous support with energy and enthusiasm to clients.
3. Work closely and collaboratively with team members to advocate for reduced sentences and/or alternatives to incarceration for clients. This advocacy includes:
· Gathering factual mitigation through interviews and obtaining records;
· Analyzing records;
· Researching and recommending alternatives to incarceration;
· Writing pre-pleading memoranda to judges and prosecutors seeking reduced sentences and alternatives to incarceration.
4. Work closely with clients to:
· Make appropriate referrals to address clients’ social service needs (drug treatment, mental health treatment, housing and other benefits);
· Assist clients in navigating social service agencies.
5. Advocate on behalf of clients to social service agencies.
6. Advocate orally and in writing on behalf of clients to judges, programs and prosecutors.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
1. A demonstrated commitment to criminal and immigration justice, indigent defense, racial equity, social justice issues, and a substantive understanding of the biases impacting our clients.
2. Doggedness and resilience combined with people and situation smarts.
3. An ability to quickly build relationships with people of varying identities, income levels, races, and ethnicities.
4. An ability to work cooperatively in a team setting.
5. A high level of organizational and administrative skills to handle a high caseload and multi-task in a very fast-paced environment.
6. Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
7. A bachelor’s degree.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Exceptional benefits package includes full medical and dental for employee and family, retirement, life and AD&D insurance, paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Texas Client Advocate.”
Please send your application as a one document attachment, preferably PDF.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For highest priority consideration, submit by November 24.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non‐ conforming, and gender fluid people.
Neighborhood Defender Service, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.