POSITION AVAILABLE: Client Intake Coordinator, NDS Texas (Edinburg)
NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE has created NDS Texas, a new client-centered, holistic public defense office to address the humanitarian crisis at the southern border by providing criminal defense representation and Padilla consultations to individuals arrested by Texas law enforcement along that border through Operation Lone Star.
NDS represents non-citizen clients who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs. NDS Texas is funded by the Texas Indigent Defense Commission.
NDS Texas opened in January 2022 in San Antonio. A second office will open in August or September in Houston. The Client Intake Coordinator positions are based remotely in Edinburg, and the Client Intake Coordinators will meet with clients in the local prison(s). Periodic travel to San Antonio or Houston will be required.
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence.
- Provide vigorous support with energy and enthusiasm to
- Create client case files in NDS’s case management system.
- Meet in-person with clients within one to two days of arrest who are housed in jail and prison facilities to obtain social and case histories.
- Maintain the integrity of NDS’ computer databases, which includes providing training and support to team members.
- Enter data regarding clients and their cases accurately and completely into a case management system.
- Identify the needs of clients in custody and work closely with social workers, client advocates, and attorneys to address those needs.
- Provide updates about case status and court settings to clients in custody and clients who are residing in the United States or in other countries.
- Assist clients in other countries with Zoom court appearances.
- Assist with facilitating team members’ visits and communication with clients.
- When needed, provide Spanish/English interpretation for non-Spanish speaking staff members.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
- A demonstrated commitment to criminal and immigration justice, indigent defense, racial equity, social justice issues, and a substantive understanding of the biases impacting our clients.
- Doggedness and resilience combined with people and situation
- An ability to quickly build relationships with people of varying identities, income levels, races, and ethnicities.
- An ability to work cooperatively in a team setting.
- A high level of organizational and administrative skills to handle a high caseload and multi-task in a very fast-paced
- Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access), and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment.
- Associate or bachelor-level degree preferred.
- Spanish language fluency is required.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Exceptional benefits package includes full medical and dental for employee and family, retirement, life and AD&D insurance, paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
How to Apply:
Interviews are being held on a rolling basis, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Edinburg Intake Coordinator.”
For more information about NDS, please visit our website at www.neighborhooddefender.org.
Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non‐ conforming, and gender fluid people.