POSITIONS AVAILABLE: Controller, NDS Texas (Houston)
NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE has created NDS Texas, a new client-centered, holistic public defense office to address the humanitarian crisis at the southern border by providing criminal defense representation and Padilla consultations to individuals arrested by Texas law enforcement along that border through Operation Lone Star.
NDS represents non-citizen clients who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal needs of clients. NDS Texas is funded by the Texas Indigent Defense Commission.
The first office is based in San Antonio and opened in January 2022. A second office will open in Houston in Summer 2022, and a third, county-based public defender office, will open in San Marcos in Fall 2022. The Controller will be based in the Houston office. Flexible work arrangements and partial telecommuting will be available. NDS Texas will have approximately 97 staff members and an annual budget of $12.5 million.
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, holistic representation and commitment to excellence by providing vigorous representation with energy and enthusiasm to the clients of NDS Texas.
- Oversee all financial operations of NDS Texas.
- Ensure that NDS Texas has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits.
- Maintain responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration.
- Provide short term analysis of all financial information, forecast for future needs as well as provide long term projections to support the growth of the organization.
- Create, monitor and maintain internal controls and safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Oversee all audit activity in conjunction with the CFO.
- Ensure the thorough and consistent analyzing of all financial data and creation of financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress, changes and keep senior leadership abreast of NDS Texas’ financial status.
- Assist NDS Texas’ leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and reviews all financial plans and comparison to actual results.
- Actively engage in financial, project/program and grants accounting; ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; collate financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Partner with the CFO, COO, HR staff, and information technology (IT) consultants to enhance and better integrate finance, HR, and IT functions.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
- Substantial accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. Experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple activities is preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in accounting or finance.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Demonstrated experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- An ability to quickly build relationships across varying identities, income levels, races and ethnicities.
- Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing, particularly in communicating key data.
- Keen analytic, organizational and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation.
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including non-finance managers.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Exceptional benefits package includes full medical and dental for employee and family, retirement, life and AD&D insurance, paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
How to Apply: Interviews are being held on a rolling basis, and applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Texas Controller.” Please send your application as a one-document attachment, preferably PDF.
For more information about NDS, please visit our website at www.neighborhooddefender.org.
Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non‐ conforming, and gender fluid people.