THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE is building a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office in Wayne County and we invite you to join our team as we represent our clients with excellence. Building on 30 years of experience of providing high quality representation, we are expanding our efforts to bring the same caliber of representation to the communities of Wayne County. We are seeking a team of highly organized, self-driven, and resilient individuals dedicated to our mission. The Criminal Defense Practice at NDS Detroit will represent residents of Wayne County who are charged with felony crimes and cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients while treating each client with dignity and respect.
The Data Entry Clerk is an integral part of the defense team who demonstrates a commitment to serving marginalized persons and communities. As a member of the inaugural staff member at the organization, the Data Entry Clerk will help shape our present and future—contributing to a collaborative environment and culture of excellence in alignment with our values. At NDS Detroit, how we represent our clients is as important as individual case outcomes and our ideal Data Entry Clerk approaches the cultivation of a positive office culture and the representation of indigent clients with equal rigor and commitment.
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence by providing vigorous representation with energy and enthusiasm to the residents of Wayne County.
- Work closely and collaboratively with team members in providing our professional and high-quality representation.
- Enter data regarding NDS’ clients and cases promptly, accurately and completely into the case management system and maintain the integrity of the database.
- Make frequent phone contact with clients, their families, legal and social work providers, the court, and attorneys.
- Foster communication between various team members.
- Assist in the preparation, filing and service of legal papers for the Criminal Defense Team.
- Liaise with other stakeholders, including court personnel, government agencies, and community organizations in service of our clients.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
- A demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, racial equity and social justice issues and the Wayne County communities.
- Experience working with a data management system, with word processing systems, and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment. Knowledge of Wayne County/Michigan court systems is preferred.
- Energy, enthusiasm and ingenuity combined with an ability to work cooperatively in team setting to achieve the goals of the representation.
- Doggedness and resilience combined with people and situation smarts.
- An ability to quickly build relationships across varying identities, income levels, races and ethnicities.
- A high level of organizational and administrative skills to handle a high caseload and multi-task in a very fast-paced environment.
- Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish or Arabic) individuals are encouraged to apply.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to DetroitHiring@ndsdetroit.org with the subject line, “Detroit Data Entry Clerk.” Please send your application as one document, preferably PDF.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS encourages people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people to apply.