THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office located in Harlem, providing criminal, civil, and family representation. NDS Clients are represented by multidisciplinary teams.
NDS is accepting applications for the position of Data Specialist.
NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are entangled in the criminal, civil or family court systems in Manhattan who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, team administrators and interns. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients.
The Data Specialist will be responsible for the aggregation, reporting, and analysis of NDS’ datasets. The position requires a combination of analytical and interpersonal skills, as the ideal candidate will have the ability to both perform rigorous analyses and deliver these results to a non-technical audience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Create analytic reports and dashboards that demonstrate the NDS’ performance and outcomes for managerial staff using the internal business intelligence platform.
• Respond to internal and external requests for aggregated data and statistics by querying the Office’s internal datasets in SQL Server.
• Analyze data to inform policy and other special projects.
• Work in partnership with executive staff to assess and develop key performance indicators.
• Collaborate with IT on infrastructure, tools, and policies.
• Break new ground in terms of analytical tools, methods, and techniques, including identifying the use of cases, piloting concepts, and implementing methods for using data to achieve office goals.
• Collect and analyze data to help manage the operation of projects such as pre-arraignment diversion, alternatives to incarceration and other recidivism reduction efforts.
• Partner with outside agencies or entities such as research institutions or universities on data-driven projects.
• Proficiency in Microsoft SQL or other RDBMS experience.
• Microsoft Analysis Services or other OLAP experience.
• Work experience or classwork in quantitative and/or qualitative methodology.
• A Bachelor’s degree in a social science discipline or relevant discipline required.
• Proven ability in quantitative and qualitative research methods.
• Experience with data management and analysis using statistical software (SAS, STATA, SPSS, R, Tableau).
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 and Excel.
• Ability to balance competing priorities, complex situations, and tight deadlines; ability to think outside of the box and develop novel strategies for analysis; ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment; ability work comfortably with a wide variety of people at different levels within the organization.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present data and research projects.
• Prior experience with administrative datasets and surveys preferred.
• The successful candidate must have a broad range of skills, but above all, they must be curious, flexible thinkers who love learning new things and tackling challenges daily.
• Experience with data analysis, database administration, or research using a variety of methods.
• Experience working with complex datasets.
• Proficiency, in a statistical software such as R or SAS, Python, or GIS software.
• Strong quantitative and problem-solving skills.
• Must be able to perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
• Experience working in teams and collaborating on projects.
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills required.
• Must be extremely detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly-organized, resourceful, and reliable.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Data Specialist.” Please send your application as a one document attachment, preferably PDF.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.