THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office located in Harlem, providing criminal, civil, and family representation. NDS is accepting applications for the position of IT Specialist.
NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with crimes and cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, advocates, and team administrators. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients.
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence.
- Establish and maintain an inventory of all equipment and software contracts as needed.
- Recommend new technology to increase production and / or reduce costs.
- Direct daily operations of department, analyzing workflow, establishing priorities, developing standards, and setting deadlines.
- Meet with managers, supervisors, vendors, and others, to solicit cooperation and resolve problems.
- Assign and review the work of systems analysts, programmers, and other computer-related workers.
- Provide users with technical support for computer problems.
- Ensures employees are trained and supported to make full use of IT systems
- Ensure that all user services including system availability, hardware and software needs, and technical support are provided in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.
- Develop computer information resources, providing for data security and control, strategic computing, and disaster recovery.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise staff, or participate in staffing decisions.
- Stay abreast of advances in technology.
- Consult with users, management, vendors, and technicians to assess computing needs and system requirements.
- Evaluate the organization’s technology use and needs and recommend improvements, such as hardware and software upgrades.
- Prepare and review operational reports or project progress reports.
- Evaluate data processing proposals to assess project feasibility and requirements.
- Control departmental budget and expenditures.
- Purchase necessary equipment.
- Manage backup, security, and user help systems.
- Administer MS 365 for NDS organization, including trouble shooting, training, accounting, and maintenance.
- Update website with media and/or general updates
- Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analysis for IT spending, including developing request for proposals, evaluating the response and awarding contracts.
- Manage contractor and vendor relationships including obtaining quotes from vendors and suppliers, establishing bidding process, and when necessary, comparing costs and negotiating contracts for purchase of goods and services for I.T. department.
- Safeguards and ensures working conditions of all office machinery including printers, copiers, postage meters, telecommunication system, Smart Boards, and video displays.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
- A demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, racial equity and social justice issues.
- Experience in I.T. management, particularly as an MS 365 Administrator.
- Experience using Word Press,
- A high level of maturity and discretion combined with an ability to quickly build relationships across varying identities, income levels, races and ethnicities.
- A track record of strategically guiding projects and relationships; applying good and practiced judgment; and routinely pushing through roadblocks to achieve your goals.
- Management skills and a coaching mindset.
- A high level of organizational and administrative skills to multi-task in a very fast-paced environment.
- Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and education equal to.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided. The salary, benefits, and employment policies relevant to this position are governed by the CBA between NDS and the NDS Union, part of ALAA UAW 2325.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, and resume to email@example.com with the subject line, “I.T. Specialist.” Please send your application as one document, preferably PDF.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people.