THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE is creating NDS Texas, a new client-centered, holistic public defense office to address the growing humanitarian crisis at the southern border by providing criminal defense representation and Padilla consultations to individuals arrested by Texas law enforcement along that border.
NDS will represent non-citizen clients who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients will be represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal needs of clients. NDS Texas is funded by the Texas Indigent Defense Commission.
Most positions, including the Receptionist, will be based in San Antonio. NDS expects to operate a satellite office in one of the border counties.
1. Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence.
2. Answer and direct phone calls in a polite and friendly manner.
3. Ensure phone calls are redirected accordingly.
4. Greet guests in a professional, friendly, and hospitable manner.
5. Open and close visitor area.
6. Create and draft memos, correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested.
7. Maintain reception area and all common areas in a clean and orderly manner. Secure areas when closing.
8. Operate standard office equipment on a regular basis, including a fax machine, a copier machine, postage machine, and a computer.
9. Maintain and update the Staff Directory and staff mailboxes.
10. Keep detailed and accurate records of visitor requests and of calls received.
11. Receive deliveries; sort and distribute incoming mail.
12. Maintain schedule of common area usage.
13. Assist in providing general clerical support to team as needed.
14. Assist in distribution of client supportive services.
15. Take inventory of supplies and restock as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
1. A demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, racial equity, and social justice issues and a substantive understanding of the biases impacting our clients.
2. Minimum one year demonstrated customer service experience.
3. Excellent phone etiquette and communication skills.
4. Punctual with demonstrated strong attendance history.
5. Ability to multi-task and prioritize work with minimal supervision.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access), and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment.
7. Professional appearance.
8. Associates degree preferred/ High School Diploma or GED.
9. Spanish language fluency required.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Exceptional benefits package includes full medical and dental for employee and family, retirement, life and AD&D insurance, paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line, “Texas Receptionist.” Please send your application as one document, preferably PDF.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For highest priority consideration, submit by November 24.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people.
Neighborhood Defender Service, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.