The Neighborhood Defender Service (NDS) is accepting applications for the position of Receptionist/Clerical Support. This position is 35 hours per week. Work hours will vary depending on the Organization’s needs during COVID. Full benefits are provided.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem (NDS) is a community-based, holistic public defender office located in Harlem. NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, and team administrators. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes.
Summary: The Receptionist will be responsible for answering and directing incoming calls, greeting clients, and providing general office support by performing a variety of clerical activities and tasks.
- Answer and direct phone calls in a polite and friendly manner.
- Ensure phone calls are redirected accordingly.
- Greet guests in a professional, friendly, and hospitable manner.
- Open and close visitor area.
- Create and draft memos, correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested.
- Maintain reception area and all common areas in a clean and orderly manner. Secure areas when closing.
- Operate standard office equipment on a regular basis, including a fax machine, a copier machine, postage machine, and a computer.
- Maintain and update the Staff Directory and staff mailboxes.
- Keep detailed and accurate records of visitor requests and of calls received.
- Receive deliveries; sort and distribute incoming mail.
- Maintain schedule of common area usage.
- Assist in providing general clerical support to team as needed.
- Assist in distribution of client supportive services.
- Take inventory of supplies and restock as needed.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish necessary.
- Excellent phone etiquette and communication skills.
- Punctual with demonstrated strong attendance history.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access.)
- Professional appearance.
- Associates degree preferred/ High School Diploma or GED accepted.
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated customer service experience.
The salary, benefits, and employment policies relevant to this position are governed by the CBA between NDS and the NDS Union, part of ALAA UAW 2325. Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Carolyn Klemens, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Receptionist.”
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.