The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem (NDS) is proud to announce that it will be opening the first-ever Article 10 conflicts practice in all of New York City in the Bronx in July 2022. This ground-breaking practice will provide community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense for low-income parents and caretakers. NDS clients are represented by multidisciplinary teams including attorneys, advocates, team administrators and social workers. NDS is accepting applications for a Supervising Attorney within our Bronx Conflicts Family Defense Practice.
The Family Defense Practice at NDS represents parents in family policing cases (sometimes called “child welfare” cases) filed by the Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) as well as related family court cases, including custody, visitation and termination of parental rights proceedings. Through our holistic approach to representation, the Family Defense Practice provides parents with the help they need—both inside and outside of court—to keep their families safe and stable. Parents are represented not only by a high-quality attorney, but also social workers, team administrators, and parent advocates. NDS is committed to advancing due process rights for parents by fighting unwarranted state intervention in their lives and advocating for related systemic change. The Supervising Attorney will manage a team which represents parents in family policing and related family court cases.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence;
- Manage a team which represents clients charged with abuse and/or neglect in Family Court;
- Train and supervise staff, including staff attorneys, social workers, and team administrators;
- Provide representation to a limited number of clients with energy, enthusiasm and a commitment to trauma-informed, anti-racist, intersectional, non-judgmental, and truly holistic advocacy throughout the case;
- When courts are safely open, travel regularly between the satellite office in the South Bronx, and Bronx Family Court. Occasional travel to the Central Office in Harlem will also be required.
Desired Capabilities and Qualifications:
- Must possess at least five years of experience as an attorney, preferably as a family defense attorney;
- Must possess a demonstrated track record of excellence in the profession;
- Must possess a proven commitment to social justice issues;
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a team setting;
- Must possess a strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively through writing;
- Lived experience with the Family Policing System strongly preferred;
- Must possess a high level of organizational skills.
NDS offers a generous compensation package, including a competitive base salary as well as health, 403(b) and vacation benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Interested applications should email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Myranda Mendez at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “NDS FDP Bronx Conflicts Supervising Attorney Posting.” Please send your application as one document, preferably PDF.
Applications will be considered and candidates will be interviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. For more information about NDS, please visit our website at www.neighborhooddefender.org.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to maintaining a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, orientations, experiences, and communities to apply.