THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, holistic public defender office located in Harlem. NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with crimes who cannot afford to hire an attorney. Clients are represented by teams composed of Attorneys, Investigators, Social Workers, and Team Administrators. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes.
The Team Administrator is responsible for working closely with team members in all aspects of client representation. The job includes frequent in-person and phone contact with clients, their families, criminal justice agencies, social service organizations, the court, and attorneys. The Team Administrator is expected to know or access the status of clients’ cases, including investigations and social work conducted on behalf of the client. The Team Administrator plays an integral role in fostering both internal communication between team members and external communication with city agencies and organizations with whom we and our clients interact. The Team Administrator must respond to inquiries from our clients and their families, especially when clients’ attorneys are unavailable.
- Work as part of the interdisciplinary team, including attorneys, social workers and investigators.
- Provide administrative support for representation of clients accused of crimes in Criminal, Supreme and Family Courts.
- Enter data regarding clients and their cases accurately and completely into a case management system.
- Maintain the integrity of NDS’ computer databases, which includes providing training and support to team members.
- Maintain the team’s equipment and supplies, photocopy, maintain case files, assist with word processing and typing, and assembling documents.
- Download, organize and maintain discovery received on clients’ cases.
- Assist in obtaining necessary court documents for clients’ cases, including transcripts and court files.
- Assist with facilitating team members’ visits and communication with clients.
- Team Administrator candidates should be college graduates with a demonstrated commitment to social justice issues and/or upper-Manhattan communities.
- Applicants must have a high level of organizational and administrative skills.
- The job requires expertise in word processing applications, a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment.
- Applicants must possess demonstrated ability to communicate orally and in writing with clarity, ease, and accuracy.
- Applicants must be able to work cooperatively in a team setting, while still problem-solve independently.
- Fluency in Spanish in preferred.
The salary, benefits, and employment policies relevant to this position are governed by the CBA between NDS and the NDS Union, part of ALAA UAW 2325. Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Fischer at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Team Administrator, Criminal Defense Practice.” Please send your application as a one document attachment, preferably PDF. For more information about NDS, please visit our website at www.neighborhooddefender.org.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Neighborhood Defender Service, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.