Neighborhood Defender Service is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office in Wayne County and we invite you to join our team as we represent our clients with excellence. We are seeking a highly organized, self-driven, and resilient individual dedicated to our mission. The Criminal Defense Practice at NDS Detroit represents residents of Wayne County who are charged with felony crimes and cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients while treating each client with dignity and respect.
The Team Administrator (Training Division) is an integral part of the training team who demonstrates a commitment to serving marginalized persons and communities. At NDS Detroit, how we represent our clients is as important as individual case outcomes and our ideal Team Administrator (Training Division) approaches the cultivation of a positive office culture and the representation of indigent clients with equal rigor and commitment.
The Team Administrator (Training Division), as part of the training department will also help shape our present and future—contributing to a collaborative environment and culture of excellence in alignment with our values and assisting with training all of our staff members. The Team Administrator (Training Division) will work closely with the Training Director to coordinate and facilitate training programs as well as deliver trainings where appropriate.
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence by providing vigorous representation with energy and enthusiasm to the residents of Wayne County.
- Work closely and collaboratively with team members in providing our professional and high-quality representation.
- Assist the Training Director in representation of clients by entering relevant data into a database, making contact with client’s family, legal and social work providers, the court, and other attorneys, and assist in preparation, filing, and service of legal papers.
- Liaise with other stakeholders, including court personnel, government agencies, and community organizations in service of our clients.
- Assist the training director with collecting and entering data regarding completed training of NDS staff and also for appointed counsel for Wayne County.
- Assist the training director with organization, coordination, and administration of training events; including consulting about content, troubleshooting technical problems, assisting with taking attendance, collecting feedback, and more.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
- A demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, racial equity and social justice issues and the Wayne County communities.
- Experience working with a data management system, with word processing systems, and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment. Knowledge of Wayne County/Michigan court systems is preferred.
- Emotional intelligence and an ability to treat people with patience and kindness combined with the energy, enthusiasm and ingenuity.
- An interest in teaching and a willingness to assist others in getting from Point A to Point B combined with an ability to work cooperatively in a team setting to achieve the goals of the representation.
- Doggedness and resilience combined with people and situation smarts.
- An ability to quickly build relationships across varying identities, income levels, races and ethnicities.
- A high level of organizational and administrative skills to handle a variety of tasks in a very fast-paced environment.
- Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish or Arabic) individuals are encouraged to apply.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to DetroitHiring@ndsdetroit.org with the subject line, “Detroit Team Administrator (Training Division).” Please send your application as one document, preferably PDF.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS encourages people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non-conforming, and gender fluid people to apply.