THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE is creating NDS Texas, a new client-centered, holistic public defense office to address the growing humanitarian crisis at the southern border by providing criminal defense representation and Padilla consultations to individuals arrested by Texas law enforcement along that border. NDS is hiring two Team Administrators for NDS Texas and is currently accepting applications.
NDS will represent non-citizen clients who are charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients will be represented by teams composed of lawyers, investigators, social workers, client advocates, and team administrators. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal needs of clients. NDS Texas is funded by the Texas Indigent Defense Commission.
Most positions, including the Team Administrators, will be based in San Antonio. Most legal proceedings will initially occur via Zoom. NDS expects to operate a satellite office in one of the border counties.
1. Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence.
2. Work as part of an interdisciplinary team, including attorneys, social workers, client advocates, and investigators.
3. Provide administrative support for representation of clients accused of crimes in criminal court and encountering immigration proceedings.
4. Enter data regarding clients and their cases accurately and completely into a case management system.
5. Maintain the integrity of NDS’ computer databases, which includes providing training and support to team members.
6. Photocopy, maintain case files, assist with word processing and typing, and assembling documents.
7. Download, organize, and maintain discovery received on clients’ cases.
8. Assist in obtaining necessary court documents for clients’ cases, including transcripts and court files.
9. Assist with facilitating team members’ visits and communication with clients.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate will bring:
1. A demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, racial equity, social justice issues, and a substantive understanding of the biases impacting our clients.
2. An ability to quickly build relationships with people of varying identities, income levels, races, and ethnicities.
3. A high level of organization and administrative skills to handle a high caseload and multi-task in a very fast-paced environment.
4. Clear and effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
5. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access), and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment.
6. An ability to work cooperatively in a team setting.
7. Associate or bachelor-level degree preferred.
8. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply. Spanish language fluency is strongly preferred.
Compensation: Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. Exceptional benefits package includes full medical and dental for employee and family, retirement, life and AD&D insurance, paid vacation, holiday, and sick time.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Texas Team Administrator.” Please send your application as a one document attachment, preferably PDF.
Applications will be accepted until both positions are filled. For highest priority consideration, submit by November 24.
The Neighborhood Defender Service is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. NDS values and specifically seeks applicants who are people with incarcerated loved ones, formerly incarcerated people, people of color, women, queer, transgender, gender non‐ conforming, and gender fluid people.
Neighborhood Defender Service, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.